Attention:

ATTENTION: I am no longer posting on this blog. Please come visit me on my NEW website LeopardCouture.Com :) Have a great day!!

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Vancouver Fashion Week S/S 2015

A few days ago I returned home from Vancouver, as I was volunteering at Vancouver Fashion Week Spring/ Summer 2015! It was an amazing (and truthfully, very exhausting) week where I made some wonderful new friends from around the globe, as well as some incredible memories. I was constantly inspired by the designers and their collections, as well as by the stylish people in the audience. Now, all I want to wear is black lipstick and a fur vest everyday!!

So you're probably now wondering what I actually did at VFW. I was extremely lucky to work closely with 3 very talented Japanese designers, Shinya Yamaguchi, Daiki Shimizu and Akira Kuwabara. I assisted the designers with model fittings, dress rehearsals, runway shows and collection exhibitions. I also provided interpretation for all of their interviews with several media. When I wasn't helping with the Japanese designers, I was working backstage helping other designers and models with their fittings and shows. I was able to sit and watch a few shows one day, which I was very happy about! After a long day's work, the other assistants and I attended the after parties joining the rest of the fashion week crew! I barely slept the whole week but it was so worth it! It was such an amazing experience, and now I want to attend more fashion weeks across the world..next stop NY? London? Paris? Milan? Tokyo? ;)

Below I've shared with you some of my favourite looks from the Japanese designers' SS15 collection. First, let's meet them!

daiki shimizu, shinya yamaguchi, akira kuwabara

Daiki Shimizu, Shinya Yamaguchi, Akira Kuwabara 



- Daiki Shimizu -

For Daiki's SS15 collection, his image was to tear up masculine pieces, such as mens suits, and transform them into something feminine. As you can see from the first 2 dresses, they are made strictly from mens suits. They were extremely heavy! He said it took about 1 month working on it full time to make one of these dresses! Wow! The last picture was probably my favourite from his collection. I absolutely love the front flaps of the pants- very sophisticated and professional looking! Now THAT is something I would want to wear to a business event! 

daiki shimizu vancouver fashion week 2014

daiki shimizu vancouver fashion week 2014

daiki shimizu vancouver fashion week 2014

daiki shimizu vancouver fashion week 2014

- Shinya Yamaguchi -

Shinya started out by designing sneakers, as he had an obsession with shoes. Eventually his talent was discovered and his passion expanded where he started designing mens clothing. His inspiration for this seasons collection comes from mixing both couture and street style..Tokyo that is ;) There were also basketball inspired pieces in his collection. The two below were my favourite looks! He needs to start designing women's clothing too!! 
Check out Shinya's website  HERE 

shinya yamaguchi vancouver fashion week 2014

shinya yamaguchi vancouver fashion week 2014

- Akira Kuwabara -

Akira is still a student, currently on exchange studying design in Paris. He is still so young but so talented! For his collection he had two different types of looks. For one, he wanted to use unique materials and fabrics such as plastic and polyester. Each individual plastic piece is cut into small triangles and sewn onto the dress. The detailing is incredible, and I am obsessed with these "spiked dresses" as I called them all week. I want one so bad!! His second look for the collection was his take on the trench coat. They were coats like you'd never seen before with such unique shapes, sizes and even the buttons were in the craziest places! 

akira kuwabara vancouver fashion week 2014

akira kuwabara vancouver fashion week 2014

akira kuwabara vancouver fashion week 2014

akira kuwabara vancouver fashion week 2014

Photo Cred. Teru Nakandakari

Here are just a few extra photos!
akira kuwabara vancouver fashion week 2014
 Akira and I backstage, with my favourite dress from his SS15 collection! 

shinya yamaguchi vancouver fashion week 2014
 Shinya and I working his exhibition on Day3! 

vancouver fashion week 2014
 With some of the lovely volunteer coordinators! 

vancouver fashion week 2014

If you have any questions about my time at VFW or VFW in general, please leave me a comment below or feel free to shoot me an email, leopardcouture8@gmail.com :) Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!xo

No comments:

Post a Comment